Bike Sharing is here, Jackson County!
If you’re in the area for business or pleasure and didn’t bring a bike, or if you’re a local and just simply don’t own a bike… there’s a new solution for you in Jackson County. Earlier this summer, a BCycle bike share program began in Jackson County as there are now six bikes available for checkout at the Weatherwax Drive trailhead of the Falling Waters Trail. If you need an address for your GPS, try 3541 Weatherwax Dr., Jackson, MI 49203.
Just off of the trail, you’ll find a station that includes up to six bikes, and a touch screen kiosk for payment. If you’re a one-time user, or you just want to give it a try before committing to becoming a regular, a “day pass” is the way to go. A day pass is $6 for up to three hours and $2/hour for additional time. If you’re planning to use the program on a regular basis, there’s also the option of purchasing an annual membership. Good for 365 days, the annual pass covers the first three hours of any ride (the 2/hour usage fee is applied only to rides longer than 3 hours). Memberships are available at jacksoncounty.bcycle.com.
Using the kiosk for a day pass is as simple as using an ATM, but here’s some helpful, step-by-step hints for checking out a bike:
- Touch screen to begin
- “Welcome to Jackson County BCycle” press start
- “What would you like to do?” press “Check out Bike”
- “Would you like to Purchase a Day Pass?” press “Yes”
- “Read and Accept User Agreement” press “Accept”
- “Do you have a promo code?” Press “no”
- Enter your zip code
- Enter your phone number
- Choose the dock number for any available bike
If you’re wondering where to ride once you check out a bike, there’s a map poster located at the station that shows the off-road, trail options. Here’s a list of point-to-point distances from the BCycle station (these distances are one way):
- Weatherwax Dr. to Reynolds Rd.: 3.3 Miles
- Weatherwax Dr. to Teft Rd.: 6.5 Miles
- Weatherwax Dr. to Concord Trailhead: 10.5 Miles
- Weatherwax Dr. to Cascade Falls Park: 1.75 Miles
- Weatherwax Dr. Grand River Arts Walk: 5.0 Miles
The BCycle station is managed by Jackson County Parks. The project was fully funded by the Hurst Foundation, and On Two Wheels is providing repair and maintenance support. Questions about BCycle? Call Kyle at 517-768-2919.
Author Bio: Kyle Lewis began working with Jackson County Parks in September of 2016 after an 11-year career with Kalamazoo County Parks. Kyle graduated from Western Michigan University where he majored in Recreation.