In operation since September 1, 1873, Jackson’s train depot is the oldest continually operating passenger rail station in the United States! During the height of train travel, it was the largest stop on the line between Detroit and Chicago. The station currently services the Amtrak Wolverine line which still runs from Detroit to Chicago.
The Victorian-Italianate red-brick station used heart pine, ash, oak and walnut woods harvested in Michigan for its interior structures. A carved walnut arch and crystal chandeliers hung overhead separated the newsstand from the ticket booth. The park in front of the depot was known as Le Grande Square and was once much larger and extending to the north; The depot, express building, and Le Grande Square are listed on the US Department of the Interior's National Register of Historic Places. Famous people have stopped at the Jackson Depot including President McKinley in 1899, President Taft in 1910, and Presidential Candidates Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 and John F. Kennedy in 1960.
According to the State of Michigan Amtrak Fact Sheet, Jackson’s Amtrak station had 26,674 Boarding’s + Alighting’s in the 2015 fiscal year.