The Central Railroad (later the Michigan Central Railroad, or MCRR) came through Grass Lake in 1842, and the community flourished around that first depot. In 1887, Grass Lake was awarded a stone depot designed by the same architects and with stone from the same quarry as the Ann Arbor station. This historic Romanesque train depot was named Whistle Stop after the book written by Grass Lake Native, Maritta Wolff. The movie version of Whistle Stop, starred Ava Gardner. While checking out this fantastic depot, why not take advantage of the beautiful park with its flower garden and gazebo adjacent to the building!
Whistle Stop Park Depot is available for rentals, receptions, parties, and weddings. Contact the Grass Lake Chamber Office for availability & information.