141 S. Jackson St., Jackson, MI 49201 :: 517.764.4440
Experience Jackson

Historic Sites

If you love unexpected adventure, then Jackson, Michigan is your place. Jackson has a number of beautifully preserved historical sites and buildings for visitors to uncover while discovering spectacular architecture, art, religious inspiration and the region's transportation history. 

Historic Railroad Town

Can you hear the sound of a whistle? Jackson has been an important joining point for several railroads since the Michigan Central Railroad made the town its eastern terminus in 1841. Jackson boasted traffic from four other railroads by 1873, when Jackson’s Union Station was built. This Victorian-Italianate red-brick building has interior structures created from heart pine, ash, oak and walnut woods harvested in Michigan; this station once featured a telegraph office, baggage room, restaurant and more, with crystal chandeliers hanging overhead.

Amtrak restored the station in 1978, and it has seen several additional renovations since that time. In 2002, the depot was placed on the National Register of Historical Places. It is considered to be one of the oldest continually operating rail stations in the United States.

Historic Homes District

There are over 300 notable homes located in a 15 block historic district, which is located on the city’s west side. Here you will find a wide variety of architecture representing Victorian, English Tudor, Craftsman and unique Ionia Stone homes. You will find interesting driving or walking along: Franklin Street from First Street to Brown Street. Washington Street from Brown to First Street. Michigan Avenue just west of the city center. 

A little bit of history, wherever you look

Historic Sites

All Saints Episcopal Church of Brooklyn

(517) 592-2244
Website
151 N Main St.
Brooklyn, MI 49230

All Saints Episcopal Church of Brooklyn All Saint’s congregation was established in 1858.The cornerstone for the building laid on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1860 and construction completed in 1862. The building was formally opened on April 4, 1862, although... » More Information

Hours

Every Sunday 10:30 am

All Saints Episcopal Church of Brooklyn

All Saint’s congregation was established in 1858.The cornerstone for the building laid on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1860 and construction completed in 1862. The building was formally opened on April 4, 1862, although the roof was not finished and the windows not installed. During one service a donkey stuck its head through one of the window openings, bringing laughter to the congregation. The construction of the All Saint’s building was inspired by English and Irish country churches, with the unique church “porch” on the side. The church celebrated 150 years in 2012 and is a highlight of the Greater Irish Hills Historic Churches Driving Tour..

» Less Information

Armory Arts Village & Michigan’s First State Prison

(517) 784-2220
| Facebook
100 Armory Court
Jackson, MI 49201

Armory Arts Village & Michigan’s First State Prison The Armory Arts Village is a one-of-a-kind, creatively focused, mixed use neighborhood.  An affordable space designed to meet both the living & workspace needs of emerging artists, musicians, designers,... » More Information

Hours

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Saturdays and additional times by appointment only.

Armory Arts Village & Michigan’s First State Prison

The Armory Arts Village is a one-of-a-kind, creatively focused, mixed use neighborhood.  An affordable space designed to meet both the living & workspace needs of emerging artists, musicians, designers, craftsmen, and other creative people. Armory Arts Village is listed on MSN in the top ten most unique buildings worldwide in which to live. The building is a private residence, an artist community and a nationally recognized historic site. 

This was the original site of Michigan's first state prison, approved by the legislature in 1838. A temporary wooden prison, enclosed by a fence of tamarack poles, was built on sixty acres donated for that purpose here. In 1839 the first thirty-five prisoners were received. A permanent prison was built three years later. Beginning in the 1880's under Warden H. F. Hatch a greater emphasis was placed on the education and rehabilitation of prisoners. After 1934 the inmates were housed in the new prison north of Jackson. During the Industrial Revolution, Michigan's First State Prison was important to the development of Jackson by providing cheap labor in our factories.

Nearby restaurants include Shlenker's Sandwich Shop, Chilango's Mexican Grill and Anna's Gifts & Porch Cafe.

Jackson's Historic Prison Tour now begins at Michigan Theatre. Click here to learn more.

» Less Information

Art 634

(517) 745-3980
Website | Facebook
634 N. Mechanic St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Art 634 The spirit has no limitations, so there is no limit to the types of creativity birthed and practiced at Art 634.  Music, dance, photography, painting, sculpture, jewelry, pottery and theater... » More Information

Hours

2nd Sunday Open House at ART 634
Every Sunday  Noon – 4pm

(Please see each boutiques listing for regular hours)

Meeting Facility Features
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 25
Art 634

The spirit has no limitations, so there is no limit to the types of creativity birthed and practiced at Art 634.  Music, dance, photography, painting, sculpture, jewelry, pottery and theater are all celebrated within the walls of ART 634.

Art 634 is proud to call an 1850's manufacturing facility home.  It was originally built as a wagon and carriage factory, adjacent to Michigan's First State Prison. The location afforded an abundance of workers and reasonable labor rates for the factory. Over the years it has been used for warehousing, trucking operations. and numerous illicit and illegal activities. Today it has been reborn as an industry of creativity.

The Art 634 logo incorporates the building's long history.  The circle of leaves represents the wagon wheel, fashioned out of leaves from the historical ginkgo tree directly to our east on Mechanic. With the name - Art 634, Center for the Creative Spirit.  The creative spirit has no limitations.

2nd Sunday of every month from 12 pm to 4 pm is a special event  featuring art, music, wine, food and camaraderie. Shop for all your gift needs for the coming month! Also don't miss the annual Fairy Festival in April which fills the building with magic and fun for the whole family.

Nearby restaurants include Schlenker's Sandwich Shop, Chilango's Mexican Grill and Anna's Gifts & Porch Cafe.

Art 634 has two unique rooms available for rent:  

  • ART 634 Classroom: Do you like to teach but lack the space and artistic atmosphere? Rent the ART 634 Classroom for $15 an hour and we’ll even help promote it. Text 517-745-3980.
  • ART 634 Back Gallery Space: Offering a unique atmosphere for exhibits. Text 517-745-3980.

ART 634 Tenants

» Less Information

Aware Shelter

(517) 783-2861
Website | Facebook
706 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Aware Shelter Built for Bradley Demanter, president of People’s National Bank, the Demanter Home is now used by the AWARE Shelter, providing shelter and counseling services to survivors of domestic... » More Information

Aware Shelter

Built for Bradley Demanter, president of People’s National Bank, the Demanter Home is now used by the AWARE Shelter, providing shelter and counseling services to survivors of domestic and sexual violence. The mission of AWARE strives to eliminate domestic and sexual violence, while promoting social change and empowering survivors by offering shelter and services. Note the second Flemish roof on the side.

» Less Information

Bella Notte Ristorante

(517) 782-5727
Website
137 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Bella Notte Ristorante Locally owned and operated by Greg & Annette Walker, they offer you a warm atmosphere, a delicious, distinctive menu and daily specials. The extensive wine list will please the most... » More Information

Hours

Monday - Saturday  : 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Closed Sunday

Live Music -  Friday and Saturday

Meeting Facility Features
  • On-site Catering Available
  • AV Equipment Available
  • Air Conditioned
  • Alcohol License Available
  • Alcohol Permitted
  • Alcohol or Bar Tending Services Available On-Site
  • WiFi Available
  • Internet Available
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 450
Bella Notte Ristorante

Locally owned and operated by Greg & Annette Walker, they offer you a warm atmosphere, a delicious, distinctive menu and daily specials. The extensive wine list will please the most discriminating palate. The facility features private dining, intimate meeting rooms and banquet facilities for up to 250 guests. Live entertainment is available every Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Bella Notte Ristorante specializes in fine dining, catering, take-out orders and all types of business and/or personal banquets. Their four banquet rooms accommodate from 1 to 250 guests to meet all your special requirements. All their entrees are freshly made to order with the finest ingredients available. Menus change seasonally utilizing the best of seasonal ingredients.

This Commercial Italianate building in downtown Jackson once housed the Oppenheim's clothing store, originally an outlet for furniture built by inmates at the Jackson Prison. In the 1950's Oppenheim's was rebuilt in the Moderne style popular at the time. Sav-a-lot drug store operated here for many years. Now Bella Notte Ristorante resides in this building with an impressive two story interior, popular horseshoe-shaped bar and delicious Italian cuisine.

Large groups are welcome! Enough space for Bus parking and turn around.

» Less Information

Blake Building

(517) 789-6222
Website
176 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Blake Building On Sunday, August 15, 1926, the Jackson Citizen Patriot announced the opening of the the Reynolds Building, Jackson's tallest business structure. Its 14 stories overlook all other business blocks in Jackson's... » More Information

Blake Building

On Sunday, August 15, 1926, the Jackson Citizen Patriot announced the opening of the the Reynolds Building, Jackson's tallest business structure. Its 14 stories overlook all other business blocks in Jackson's mercantile district, the dominating structure being the realization of an idea conceived by Wiley R. Reynolds, president of the W.R. Reynolds and Company, one of the city's leading real estate and insurance concerns.

On February 15, 1926 the actual construction work was started.  Albert Kahn, Inc. of Detroit were the architects.  Mr. Kahn has designed many famous Detroit buildings, including the GM Building, First National Bank Building, The David Whitney Building, and the Detroit Athletic Club, as well As Jackson buildings the Jackson County Tower Building, formerly Union and People's National Bank and the Old Consumers Power Building.

This structure occupies a ground space of 30 feet by 112 feet.  It rises into the air 14 stories, equivalent to 198 feet, 2 inches.  The building is of steel and reinforced concrete construction, thoroughly fire proof, complete with all the latest features of building construction and service of the time.

The only elevator in Jackson County with an elevator operator be sure to say hello to her while exploring the lobby and shopping at A Frame Above which occupies the ground floor. 

» Less Information

Brooklyn Presbyterian Church

(517) 592-2801
Website
160 N. Main St.
Brooklyn, MI 49230

Brooklyn Presbyterian Church Listed in the Michigan Historical registry, The Booklyn Presbyterian Church in Brooklyn was originally 40 x 60 feet in size, the church was a simple Greek Revival building with a square belfry.... » More Information

Hours

Sunday Services 8:30 and 10:30 AM

Brooklyn Presbyterian Church

Listed in the Michigan Historical registry, The Booklyn Presbyterian Church in Brooklyn was originally 40 x 60 feet in size, the church was a simple Greek Revival building with a square belfry. In 1901 a gabled entranceway was added and the church raised up on high stone foundation. The church building is the second oldest in Jackson County and a highlight of the Greater Irish Hills Historic Churches Driving Tour. Inside the church's Archives Alcove is a mini-museum in which the memories and artifacts of 170 years of service have been stored and displayed. 

» Less Information

Calvary United Methodist Church

(517) 782-0543
Website | Facebook
925 Backus
Jackson, MI 49202

Calvary United Methodist Church Calvary United Methodist Church is a welcoming and friendly church whose mission is: “We are called to grow in faith, to be a sign of God’s Kingdom.... » More Information

Hours

Sunday Services

Sunday School 9:30 AM

Worship 11:00 AM

Meeting Facility Features
  • AV Equipment Available
  • Air Conditioned
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 300
Calvary United Methodist Church

Calvary United Methodist Church is a welcoming and friendly church whose mission is: “We are called to grow in faith, to be a sign of God’s Kingdom.” Located at 925 Backus Street in Jackson, Michigan, Calvary works to accomplish its mission through classes and small groups designed to promote spiritual growth offered to the congregation as well as proactive outreach and partnership in its community. We are strong in mission giving, hands-on partnership with the local elementary school and serve meals to the local homeless shelter.

» Less Information

Cascades Manor House

(517) 784-1500
Website | Facebook
1970 Kibby Rd.
Jackson, MI 49203

Cascades Manor House Winner of the 2014 Jackson Magazine Reader's Choice for Best Banquet Facility They specialize in Showers, Corporate Meetings, On-site Weddings and  Wedding Receptions, Service Clubs, Memorials and Special Events.... » More Information

Meeting Facility Features
  • On-site Catering Available
  • AV Equipment Available
  • Air Conditioned
  • Alcohol Permitted
  • WiFi Available
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 275
Cascades Manor House

Winner of the 2014 Jackson Magazine Reader's Choice for Best Banquet Facility

They specialize in Showers, Corporate Meetings, On-site Weddings and  Wedding Receptions, Service Clubs, Memorials and Special Events. Nestled in beautiful Sparks Park and The Cascades (aka Cascades Falls Park) of Jackson, Michigan, you'll find the elegant Cascades Manor House.  The perfect setting for your next occasion, the Cascades Manor house will impress your guests with stunning surroundings, impeccable service and delicious cuisine. They cordially invite you to relax and enjoy the charming atmosphere of the Cascades Manor House while their experienced, professional staff plan and coordinate your special event. Our scenic grounds and unique bridges create the perfect setting for any occasion. Your guests will enjoy a large dance floor and ample parking.  The Cascades Manor House has a long-term agreement with Jackson County Parks.  We are a nonprofit facility and our proceeds are directed to local parks improvement. We have seating for up to 300 and three private rooms to choose from.   We offer a full bar and equipment rentals to complete your event. Corporate events, showers, wedding receptions, memorial luncheons, retirement parties, your event will shine at Jackson's Original "Community Gathering Place." Call today to schedule your next event.  517-784-1500.

» Less Information

Casler’s Hardware Store

(517) 789-8153
Website
125 N Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Casler’s Hardware Store Casler's Hardware occupies four discreet buildings. The oldest, a simple, two-story, Greek Revival building at the rear, is Jackson's oldest stone building. Listed on the National Register... » More Information

Hours

7 am -- 5 pm Monday through Friday
8 am -- 12 Noon Saturday
Closed Sunday

Casler’s Hardware Store

Casler's Hardware occupies four discreet buildings. The oldest, a simple, two-story, Greek Revival building at the rear, is Jackson's oldest stone building. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was built in 1839 as the Post Office, General Store and Newspaper. It then faced onto the original town square, now Bucky Harris Park, where the stagecoach would stop regularly. 

The Stone Post Office built with locally quarried sandstone, is also one of the oldest commercial structures in all of Michigan. Built for local merchant Joseph G.R. Blackwell, it was once a center of local life and one of the first permanent buildings in the town then called Jacksonburgh.  

Casler Hardware Inc. has been in business since 1939, offering hardware supplies for commercial companies, as well as large or small household repairs and projects.

» Less Information

Celebrations Wedding Chapel & Event Center

(517) 879-0370
Website | Facebook
101 Main St.
Horton, MI 49246

Celebrations Wedding Chapel & Event Center Celebrate your wedding or special occasion in the romantic Wedding Chapel in our historic Victorian church just outside Jackson, MI. (Formerly Billingsgate restaurant)  Event Center for intimate gatherings accommodating... » More Information

Contact
Christine Tanier, Manager
Meeting Facility Features
  • Air Conditioned
  • Alcohol Permitted
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 50
Celebrations Wedding Chapel & Event Center

Celebrate your wedding or special occasion in the romantic Wedding Chapel in our historic Victorian church just outside Jackson, MI. (Formerly Billingsgate restaurant)  Event Center for intimate gatherings accommodating up to 50 guests. Kitchen facilities available for catered food or pot luck and alcohol is allowed.  Officiant on-site who will work with you to create the perfect ceremony.  Weddings, receptions, showers, birthdays, anniversaries, reunions, seminars, Holiday parties.  Come make your memories with us!

» Less Information

Coe House Museum

(517) 522-8324
| Facebook
371 W. Michigan Ave.
Grass Lake, MI 49240

Coe House Museum Coe House was constructed in 1871 for Henry Van Winkle, who owned and operated a hardware store and farm equipment "dealership" in Grass Lake. In 1953 Archie and Myrta Coe bought the... » More Information

Hours

By appointment only.

Coe House Museum

Coe House was constructed in 1871 for Henry Van Winkle, who owned and operated a hardware store and farm equipment "dealership" in Grass Lake. In 1953 Archie and Myrta Coe bought the home, and it was from Mrs. Coe, by then a widow, that the Grass Lake Area Historical Society bought the house in 1972. The architecture of the home is Tuscan Vernacular. It has been furnished to represent a typical home of the Victorian Era. A variety of events are scheduled throughout the year, including flea markets, craft shows, music and a heritage celebration.

 

» Less Information

Commercial Exchange Building

(517) 782-9305
Website
2301 E. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49202

Commercial Exchange Building Added to the National Historic Places Registry in 1993, the Commercial Exchange Building/ Collins Manufacturing/ Jackson Automobile Company Complex consists of two segments (Buildings A and B) arranged into a roughly... » More Information

Commercial Exchange Building

Added to the National Historic Places Registry in 1993, the Commercial Exchange Building/ Collins Manufacturing/ Jackson Automobile Company Complex consists of two segments (Buildings A and B) arranged into a roughly square-shaped complex connected to a third rectangular segment (Building C) by a one-story power house and loading dock structure erected at the same time as Building A in 1895. A fourth, smaller, rectangular building (Building D) is situated adjacent and parallel to Building C. Building A, the original structure on the site, is a three-story, U-shaped, red brick building featuring a six-story corner tower containing the main entrance. The building contains the original main offices, several of which were remodeled in the 1930s and display both Colonial/Georgian and Art Deco motifs, fireplaces, molded wood paneling, and period wall sconces. 

The Collins Manufacturing Co. built the structure at 2301 E. Michigan Ave. and was a major producer of horse carts in the late 1890s. The building has since housed many early, innovative automobile companies, a World War I munitions factory, a Cardon Manufacturing plant. It was acquired by William Sparks in 1928 for the Sparks-Withington Co. The building is now owned by and known as the Commercial Exchange Building. 

Photo Courtesy of the Jackson District Library Archives. 

» Less Information

Consumers Energy Old Post Office

One Energy Plaza
Jackson, MI 49201

Consumers Energy Old Post Office Now part of the new Consumers Energy campus, this former post office was designed by Jackson architect Claire Allen at the height of his powers. Built in 1932, this beautifully designed... » More Information

Consumers Energy Old Post Office

Now part of the new Consumers Energy campus, this former post office was designed by Jackson architect Claire Allen at the height of his powers. Built in 1932, this beautifully designed and sumptuously detailed United States Post Office was built with the finest materials - limestone, marble, terra cotta, and metal - crafted by experts employed by the WPA.  

In 1998 the post office moved and the next year Consumers Energy started a project that entailed restoring this building and attaching a twelve-story office building in back.  This unusually curved beaux arts former post office was incorporated as the focal point of the new Consumers Energy campus.The original post office lobby is now the entrance, the wood-paneled post master’s office is the welcoming center, while the mail sorting area has been converted into an extremely handsome employee lounge and lunch room with a grand staircase. Note how the parking structures on either side are carefully designed to go with the main building.
Photo courtesy of the Jackson District Library Archives.

» Less Information

Dale Fisher Galleries of Fine Photography and Eyry of the Eagle Reception and Retreat Center

517-937-3883 or kim@EyryoftheEagle.com
Website | Facebook
1916 Norvell Rd.
Grass Lake, MI 49240

Dale Fisher Galleries of Fine Photography and Eyry of the Eagle Reception and Retreat Center   Eyry of the Eagle Farm Wedding Reception and Retreat Center & Dale Fisher Galleries of Fine Photography From Rehearsal Dinner to Reception, The Eyry of the Eagle Farm is... » More Information

Contact
Kim
Hours

The center is open during normal businesses hours (M-F 9-5) and on weekends by appointment. It always best to call ahead.

Meeting Facility Features
  • On-site Catering Available
  • Air Conditioned
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 250
Dale Fisher Galleries of Fine Photography and Eyry of the Eagle Reception and Retreat Center

 

Eyry of the Eagle Farm Wedding Reception and Retreat Center & Dale Fisher Galleries of Fine Photography

From Rehearsal Dinner to Reception, The Eyry of the Eagle Farm is a special place for special occasions. This beautiful backdrop is the perfect location for wedding receptions and business events. The Eyry of the Eagle Farm features a modern reception hall, a charming 125-year old restored barn, wedding pergola, pond, windmill, wooded area, flower gardens and unique farm animals.

Located in Grass Lake, Michigan just west of Ann Arbor,
The Eyry of the Eagle Farm’s facilities are perfect for:

• Weddings
• Bridal & Baby Showers
• Graduation & Anniversary Parties
• Corporate Events & Meetings
• Company & Family Picnics
• Class Reunions

 

The Eyry of the Eagle Farm features


• Wings Gallery Reception Hall – 5000+ square feet with 40'x64' meeting/dining room-240 guest capacity
• Eagle's Nest Gallery-125-year-old barn-90 Guest capacity
• Wedding Ceremony Pergola with brick walkway
• Pergola
• 3-Acre pond with Windmill
• Flower Gardens
• Wooded areas
• Ball Field
• Unique Farm Animals
• Beautiful “Photo Opportunity” backdrops
• Galleries decorated with the photographic art of Dale Fisher

Wings Gallery Reception Hall
Fine Art Photography by Dale Fisher, special lighting, warm wall colors and tasteful window treatments re-enforce the feeling of being in a fine art gallery and create a natural backdrop for photographs.
• 5000 square feet with 40'x64' meeting/dining room,
• 240-Guest capacity
• Air-Conditioning
• Catering Kitchen
• Entry / Reception Room
• Bridal Suite

Eagles Nest Barn
This beautiful 125-year old restored barn is perfect for smaller gatherings or cocktails prior to a larger event. This cozy, rustic, fine art gallery and meeting reception area create an excellent atmosphere for parties, corporate events, rehearsal dinners and is available for the groomsmen to prepare for the wedding.
• 90-Guest capacity
• Catering kitchen
• Air-conditioned

 

Dale Fisher Galleries
All of the walls within the buildings of The Eyry of the Eagle Farm feature the fine art photography of Dale Fisher. During his 50+ year career and known for his “Eagle Eye” perspective, Working almost exclusively from a low-altitude helicopter,  Dale has been perfecting his art of creating images from a rarely seen perspective. His Galleries are filled with collections of art from the states of Michigan, Hawaii, Arizona, New York and many other areas; as well as, wildlife, nautical, landscape images for all four seasons.

Dale’s low-altitude, distinctive and personal, commercial photography transforms freeways, construction sites, farms and homes into works of fine art. These images have many business benefits, which include:
• Project Documentation
• Public Relations and Marketing Material
• Presentation images
• Website and social media photos
• Wall Hangings
• Client Gifts
• And Much more

The Eyry of the Eagle Farm is also home to the Michigan Center for the Photographic Arts, a non-profit 501(3)(c) organization that's main focus is to unleash the creative spirit in children through the art of photography.

A small sampling of Dale's art and information about upcoming events may be viewed at www.DaleFishePhoto.com. Call 517-522-3705 to schedule a tour of Dale Fisher’s Fine Art Galleries.
 

» Less Information

Ella Sharp Museum

(517) 787-2320 
Website | Facebook
3225 Fourth St.
Jackson, MI 49203

Ella Sharp Museum In 1912, Ella Sharp’s farm and home were willed to Jackson for the creation of a park and museum, which opened in 1965. The Ella Sharp Museum features an 1860&rsquo... » More Information

Hours

Tues, Wed, Fri & Sat. - 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Thurs - 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Sun and Mon - CLOSED

Public guided tours of Ella Sharp's 19th Century Hillside Farmhouse are at 11 a.m., 12:30, 2:00 and 3:00 p.m.

For group tour information please click here.

Meeting Facility Features
  • On-site Catering Available
  • AV Equipment Available
  • Air Conditioned
  • Alcohol License Available
  • Alcohol or Bar Tending Services Available On-Site
  • WiFi Available
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 300
Ella Sharp Museum

In 1912, Ella Sharp’s farm and home were willed to Jackson for the creation of a park and museum, which opened in 1965. The Ella Sharp Museum features an 1860’s log cabin, the Dibble one-room schoolhouse, country store, print shop, doctor’s office, wood shop and the Merriman Sharp Farmhouse.  The Ella Sharp Museum also houses six galleries including the Andrews Gallery of Wildlife Art, the Jackson History Gallery, a clock gallery and three galleries featuring traveling and “in house” exhibitions.

Thousands of visitors are drawn each year to Hillside Farm Lane for the Ella’s major festivals including Sugaring & Shearing (March), Fall Harvest Festival (October) and Art, Beer & Wine Festival (June) which will celebrate its 10th anniversary in June of 2014 and includes art vendors, Michigan wine and craft beer tastings. 

The Grand Community Room at the Ella Sharp Museum is the perfect place for your next grand event. The 3,000-square-foot room features an outdoor patio, catering kitchen, and stage to accommodate a wide variety of uses. A huge, arched window looks out onto the surrounding park and a mid-19th century log house. Consider Ella Sharp Museum for reunions, holiday parties, weddings, seminars, annual meetings and much more.

Group Tour Information

The Ella offers special programming options for groups of 15 or more. To schedule a group tour, please contact tour coordinator Emily Jarvi. Group tours must be scheduled two weeks in advance.

For your group’s visit, choose from three tour options, all lasting approximately three hours or create your own experience:

Option 1: Guided tour of Ella’s home, the Merriman-Sharp farmhouse; visit to the galleries; tour of the grounds featuring sculpture and historical buildings; free time

Option 2: Guided visit to the galleries; presentation on selected topic*; tour of the grounds featuring sculpture and historical buildings; free time

Option 3: Guided visit to the galleries; creative project; choose between tour of the grounds featuring sculpture and historical buildings or house tour; free time

*Choose from eight topics of interest in art and history relating to the museum’s collection. 

 

» Less Information

First Baptist Church

(517) 784-3151
Website | Facebook
201 S. Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201

First Baptist Church This was the first Baptist church established in Jackson. In 1834, thirteen Jackson pioneers established the Barry-Jackson Baptist Church in Sandstone Township. Five years later the Reverend David Hendee and seventeen... » More Information

Contact
Rev. Gretchen C. Sanewsky, Pastor
Hours

Office Open:
Mon: 8:00 pm - 12:00 pm
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tue - Fri: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm

SUNDAY INFORMATION:
Worship Service - 9:45 am
Coffee and Donuts - 11:00 am
Sunday School & Adult Bible Study - 11:30 am-12:30 pm

First Baptist Church

This was the first Baptist church established in Jackson. In 1834, thirteen Jackson pioneers established the Barry-Jackson Baptist Church in Sandstone Township. Five years later the Reverend David Hendee and seventeen members of that church formed the First Baptist Church in Jackson. Meetings were held in several locations until 1868, when construction began on the present church. J. R. Lewis provided the plans and specifications for this Romanesque Revival-style structure. When a lack of funds resulted in repeated construction delays, "Uncle Ben" Mosher, a member of the building committee, agreed to erect the walls free if the materials were supplied. A donation from four church members in 1871 assured the structure's completion. The church was eventually dedicated on March 10, 1872.

Founded in 1839, First Baptist Church has been a vital presence of God’s hope and grace in downtown Jackson for more than 170 years. From the corner of South Jackson and Cortland Streets, the congregation continues to live this legacy through mission and outreach to the community. With about 190 members First Baptist is a place to be known by God and friends. 

Photos coutesy of First Baptist Church of Jackson.

» Less Information

First Congregational Church

(517) 784-8577
Website | Facebook
120 N. Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201

First Congregational Church This pre-Civil War building has a fascinating history that includes a well-documented story about adding a basement AFTER the structure had been in operation for several years. This monumental Romanesque... » More Information

Contact
Rev. Larry Hoxey
Hours

Office Open: 9 am - 2 pm weekdays

Sunday Services: 
8:30 am Faith Connections (Early Service)
10:00 am Sunday Service (Sanctuary)
10:00 am Sunday School

First Congregational Church

This pre-Civil War building has a fascinating history that includes a well-documented story about adding a basement AFTER the structure had been in operation for several years. This monumental Romanesque Revival church was erected in 1859 according to plans by architect Horatio N. White of Syracuse, New York. It is this congregation's third church. In 1871 the building was raised eight feet to accommodate lower-level classrooms. In September 1861, on the eve of departing for duty in the Civil War, the "Jackson Blair Cadets" and the Jackson County Rifles gathered with their families in the crowded sanctuary. At Detroit's Fort Wayne the troops joined the Eighth and Ninth Michigan infantries respectively. Beginning in the 1840s with the anti-slavery movement, the congregation actively participated in social reform--most notably the temperance and civil rights crusades. In 1987 the church was placed on the State Register of Historic Sites.

Photo Courtesy of Jackson District Library Archives.

» Less Information

First Presbyterian Church

517-784-9175
Website | Facebook
743 W. Michigan Avenue
Jackson, MI 49201

First Presbyterian Church At Jackson's First Presbyterian Church "Serving God and Serving Others" is what we are called to do as a church. This little phrase is on our coffee cups, baseball... » More Information

Contact
Jennifer Williams
Hours

Sunday hours:

Adult Sunday School - 9am

Sunday worship - 10am

Weekday office hours:

Monday - Friday from 9am-4pm

Meeting Facility Features
  • Air Conditioned
  • WiFi Available
  • Internet Available
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 100
First Presbyterian Church

At Jackson's First Presbyterian Church "Serving God and Serving Others" is what we are called to do as a church. This little phrase is on our coffee cups, baseball caps, T-shirts, and stationery. What it actually means is that our mission is following the teachings of Jesus Christ to love and care for those he loves. We believe that he loves people of all races, religions, sexual orientation, and those who have faith and those who do not.

    In the words of a famous prayer, he "loves the poor and the helpless, thecold, the hungry and the oppressed; the sick in body and in mind and them that mourn; the lonely and the unloved; the aged and the little children; all who know not the Lord Jesus, or who love him not, or who by sin have grieved his heart of love."

      This is the "Gospel" or "good news" that we feel called out to do. Our understanding of the Gospel is that we are called by Jesus to live out these teachings in today's world. The ministries of our congregation reflect this.

Various rooms available for groups from 5 people to 100 people.

» Less Information

Hanover Horton Conklin Reed Organ & History Museum

(517) 563-8927
Website | Facebook
101 Fairview St.
Hanover, MI 49241

Hanover Horton Conklin Reed Organ & History Museum The Lee Conklin Antique Reed Organ & History Museum proudly displays over 100 fully restored and working antique reed organs. Visitors to the museum are often treated to the beautiful sounds... » More Information

Hours

May - October: Sunday 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
By appointment the rest of the week. 

Meeting Facility Features
  • Air Conditioned
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 44
Hanover Horton Conklin Reed Organ & History Museum

The Lee Conklin Antique Reed Organ & History Museum proudly displays over 100 fully restored and working antique reed organs. Visitors to the museum are often treated to the beautiful sounds of these antique instruments, as they are in playable condition. The collection includes parlor, cottage and church organs along with elegant rosewood melodeons, some dating as far back as the mid-1800’s. The historical collection includes a turn of the century classroom, barber shop, library, printing press and telephone switchboard. The museum building itself, once Hanover High School, was designated a Michigan Historical Site in 2000 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2013. The museum is owned and operated by the Hanover-Horton Area Historical Society. Special events include Rust N' Dust Days, Fourth of July Tractor Pulls and October Corn Mazes. 

The Heritage Park Event Center hosts monthly concerts called Bluegrass Bonanza and is also great place to hold your next gathering. Whether you are expecting a small crowd or a full house the event center can accommodate your needs. There are two rooms available. The small meeting room features a classroom style space that holds 44 people maximum and includes the use of the kitchen. The large meeting space is also available for rent and also includes the use of the kitchen. If you are interested in renting either room, please contact the Hanover-Horton Area Historical Society office at 517-563-8927.  There is NO Alcohol / NO Smoking policy for all of the Museum Buildings and Grounds.

Group tours are welcome.  The buildings and restrooms are handicapped accessible except for the 2nd floor of the museum. Please allow 1.5 hours for the tour. Please visit their website for more information on group tours.

» Less Information

Hayes Hotel

228 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Hayes Hotel Named in honor of industrialist Clarence Hayes, this currently vacant building was once a top-level hotel with a fancy restaurant and ballroom. Development plans have been put on hold. Photo... » More Information

Hayes Hotel

Named in honor of industrialist Clarence Hayes, this currently vacant building was once a top-level hotel with a fancy restaurant and ballroom. Development plans have been put on hold.
Photo Courtesy of Jackson District Library Archives.

» Less Information

Jackson Antique Mall Inc.

(517) 784-3333
Website
201 N. Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Jackson Antique Mall Inc. Built in late 1860's in the Commercial Italianate style prevalent during that period. It has housed boarding rooms, a bar, livery stables, a freezer unit manufacturer, storage for Jackson Cracker... » More Information

Hours

Monday – Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday 12:00 p.m – 5:00 p.m.
Closed Major Holidays

Jackson Antique Mall Inc.

Built in late 1860's in the Commercial Italianate style prevalent during that period. It has housed boarding rooms, a bar, livery stables, a freezer unit manufacturer, storage for Jackson Cracker Company, a commercial sign manufacturer, a hardware and appliance shop, B.F. Goodrich, and A & J Tire. In 1988, the building was purchased and developed into the current Jackson Antique Mall. It is the largest antique mall in Jackson with over 3 floors of treasures in downtown Jackson.

» Less Information

Jackson Coffee Co. Downtown

(517) 990-6770
Website | Facebook
201 South Mechanic St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Jackson Coffee Co. Downtown Jackson's Best Coffee Shop of 2012   The Jackson Coffee Co is Jackson's only gourmet coffee roaster, which means that we produce the freshest cup of coffee possible.  ... » More Information

Hours

Mon–Thu 7am–7pm
Fri 7am–10pm with Live Entertainment from 7 to 10 p.m.
Sat 8am–7pm (downtown)
Sun Closed

Meeting Facility Features
  • On-site Catering Available
  • Air Conditioned
  • WiFi Available
Event Capacity
  • 12
Jackson Coffee Co. Downtown

Jackson's Best Coffee Shop of 2012

 

The Jackson Coffee Co is Jackson's only gourmet coffee roaster, which means that we produce the freshest cup of coffee possible.  It is why we have been voted "Best Coffee" for the past five years.  All coffee is roasted at our downtown location.  This location features a 3500 sf, 1871 building in the heart of Jackson's business district and is filled with old-world charm, modern amenities, and a Hip, jazz-inspired upstairs. It's worth stopping by just to check out the brass ceiling.   Live music is offered free of charge from 7 PM to 10 PM every Friday night. This store carries the widest selection of regular and sugar-free flavors in 4 counties and has something for everyone, even the non-coffee drinker. Visit our website at www.jacksoncoffeeco.com to see pictures of our store, who's playing this Friday, and for directions. 

This classic commercial Italianate building was constructed in early 1870's by entrepreneur N.G. Davis. It has housed a grocery, oil company, flour and feed store, engraving company, dentist, corset company, shoe store, awning company, investment company, paint and wallpaper store, cabinet company, Democratic party headquarters, and now beautifully renovated to become the Jackson Coffee Company.

Photo Courtesy of Ernst Design, LLC.

» Less Information

Jackson County Airport - Reynolds Field

(517) 788-4225
Website | Facebook
3606 Wildwood Ave.
Jackson, MI 49202

Jackson County Airport - Reynolds Field The Jackson County Airport - Reynolds Field in Jackson, Michigan is dedicated to serving the aeronautical needs of the greater Jackson area. The 700-acre airport, equipped with an ILS system,... » More Information

Hours

The Air Traffic Control Tower operates from 7:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. daily.

Airport Adminstration Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Jackson County Airport - Reynolds Field

The Jackson County Airport - Reynolds Field in Jackson, Michigan is dedicated to serving the aeronautical needs of the greater Jackson area. The 700-acre airport, equipped with an ILS system, is located just south of I-94 ( Airport Road exit #137) and is home to over 100 general aviation aircraft ranging from single engine planes to business/corporate jet aircraft. The Airport is home to many businesses including the Jackson Community College Flight School.

The Aviation Heritage Park display includes a Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star jet, a larger than life bronze statue of a WWII aviator and two original monumnets from when the airport was given to the City of Jackson in 1928. Coming in 2013, a monument dedicated to the training of WWII pilots, as well as a replica of the plane once flown by the famed German fighter pilot the Red Baron in WWI.

The Airport is home to a full-service restaurant, a car rental company and the annual Jackson Bluesfest. 

» Less Information

Jackson County Courthouse

(517) 788-4245
Website | Facebook
312 S. Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Jackson County Courthouse The Jackson County Courthouse, located at Jackson and Wesley Streets, was constructed in 1927-28 as the Elk's Temple.  It was a very elaborate lodge and a center of... » More Information

Jackson County Courthouse

The Jackson County Courthouse, located at Jackson and Wesley Streets, was constructed in 1927-28 as the Elk's Temple.  It was a very elaborate lodge and a center of recreational activity for several years.  The Jackson Elks spared no expense when building their new headquarters which included a swimming pool, auditorium, Spanish-decor restaurant and cafeteria, rooms for visiting Elks, handball courts, bowling alley, Turkish bath, barber shop and beauty parlor, and eight shops.  When the Depression hit a few years later, they couldn’t make the payments, so they returned to their former hall at 310 Mechanic.   In 1935, it was purchased by the county from the bond holders for a total of $27,000, which included $17,500 in delinquent taxes. It was remodeled for cost of $360,000, and occupied by the county in the spring of 1937.  Since then, it has served as the seat of government for the County of Jackson.

» Less Information

Jackson County Tower Building

(517) 788-4331
Website | Facebook
120 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Jackson County Tower Building Designed by prominent Detroit Architect, Albert Kahn and completed in 1929 after the merger of Union Bank and Peoples National Bank. The 17-story Tower Building, was at that time referred... » More Information

Jackson County Tower Building

Designed by prominent Detroit Architect, Albert Kahn and completed in 1929 after the merger of Union Bank and Peoples National Bank. The 17-story Tower Building, was at that time referred to as the "Golden Towers." In 1933 the National Bank of Jackson was organized as the successor to the Union and Peoples National Bank.  Operations continued in the original building, though the National Bank never took ownership. In 1958, the National Bank vacated and for several years Consumers Power Company leased space.

In 1975 it was sold to the County for a nominal sum by the Raymond Kolowich family and became the County Tower Building.  The County Commissioners' Chamber is located on the 2nd floor up the marble flight of stairs.  Italian leaded stained glass windows surround the chamber which was originally the main banking area. A long awaited restoration of the this lobby was finished in July of 2011.  This former bank lobby has been restored to its former glory with repairs made to the stained glass windows, vaulted plaster ceiling and wood paneling that surrounds the 7,200-square-foot room. Three-tiered chandeliers and a marble balustrade were also installed. It is now an acessible to the public customer service area housing the county treasurer, register of deeds and equalization department.

This ""castle-topped"" structure is one of Jackson's most treasured buildings and continues to reign as downtown Jackson's tallest landmark.

Another unique feature of this building is not historical in nature but biological. A pair of peregrine falcons have chosen to nest and breed atop this iconic building, a first in Jackson County.  The happy couple who usually mate for life can be seen in season on their very own webcam http://www.co.jackson.mi.us/tower_falcons.asp

» Less Information

Jackson District Library

(517) 788-4087
Website | Facebook
244 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Jackson District Library Inspiring our community to discover, learn and succeed! Jackson County residents can enjoy library services of the highest quality while visiting our 13 locations or the virtual branch at www.myjdl... » More Information

Hours

Carnegie Library Hours:

Monday - Thursday: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm

Friday: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Saturday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Meeting Facility Features
  • AV Equipment Available
  • Air Conditioned
  • WiFi Available
  • Internet Available
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 80
Jackson District Library

Inspiring our community to discover, learn and succeed! Jackson County residents can enjoy library services of the highest quality while visiting our 13 locations or the virtual branch at www.myjdl.com. The library strives to meet our community’s ever-changing needs for educational, cultural and recreational information. Patrons can reserve books, download eBooks and eAudiobooks, and check the status of their library account by logging in to the online catalog through the webpage 24/7. The library’s computerized catalog is also linked with the Jackson College Learning Resources Center Library.

In addition to the library services and collections, the library offers programs for all ages at all our locations throughout the year. Most programs and services are free of charge.  For more information, call 517-788-4087 or visit www.myjdl.com.

In 1901, Andrew Carnegie donated $70,000 for the construction of a library building in the city of Jackson. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the State of Michigan Register of Historic Sites, this Neo-Classical style building was designed and built in 1906. The facility features inlaid terrazzo floors, intricate ceiling moldings, Carrara white marble staircase and numerous pieces of art. The Carnegie building became the main branch for the newly created district in 1978. In 1981, with a bequest from Mrs. Mable MinterVan Orman, a circular structure was built at the rear of the library. This added an elevator, history room, back lobby and a children's storytelling room. 

Meeting Rooms are available for rent free of charge. See their website for rental policies.

Carnegie Library - Reserve by calling the Reference desk at (517) 788-4087, ext. 1339 or 1340.

McIntyre Room (Seats 24)

Sergeant Auditorium (Seats 80)

Eastern Branch – Reserve by calling the East Branch at (517) 788-4074.

Knibloe Room (Seats 70) 

Meijer Branch – Reserve by calling Meijer at (517) 788-4480.

Two study rooms available on a first-come, first-serve basis (Each Seats 4)  Also, the Meijer Digital Studio offers space for a wide variety of activities.Three additional meeting rooms will be available very soon!

The Child, The Parent, and The Book, by Freeman L. Schoolcraft, bronze and limestone, 1988, Jackson District Library/Carnegie Branch, Michigan Ave.

The Carnegie building is graced with an outdoor public sculpture a parent and child reading and was created by famed sculptor Freeman Schoolcraft, Jackson High School graduate. Freeman Schoolcraft's The Child, The Parent, and The Book sits beside the main entrance to the Jackson District Library welcoming patrons while celebrating the right to read and symbolizing the value of parents and children learning and growing together.

» Less Information

Jackson Gas Company

229 S. Mechanic St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Built circa 1912 for the offices and showrooms of the Jackson Gas Company where gas-powered lighting equipment and appliances were sold. After housing a commercial printer into the 1990's, the interior... » More Information

Built circa 1912 for the offices and showrooms of the Jackson Gas Company where gas-powered lighting equipment and appliances were sold. After housing a commercial printer into the 1990's, the interior was painstakingly renovated. This lovely space provided a wonderful atmosphere for the most recent tenant, the Nomad Bookstore, a locally owned independant bookstore and cafe. The building is currently vacant. 

» Less Information

JTV

(517) 787-8817
Website | Facebook
148 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

JTV Studios for local station JTV are housed in what had been the Grinnell music store. The building façade dates from around 1900, but as was common at the time... » More Information

JTV

Studios for local station JTV are housed in what had been the Grinnell music store. The building façade dates from around 1900, but as was common at the time much of the building's walls likely belonged to an earlier structure. 

JTV Studios is a full service video production, web design and marketing services firm serving clients from our offices and studios in Jackson, Michigan. JTV Studios provides corporate video, multimedia presentation, flash animation and web production services. Our aim is to help you, our corporate client, to communicate more effectively, more impressively. This is our strength. We produce much more than just a corporate DVD, graphic sales presentation, training video or a few high quality web pages for your company. We organize your information, supplying the marketing tools and business intelligence you need to make your next production an outright winner. Working together, we help you discover powerful new ways to communicate to your audience, making them more aware of you, influencing them, and motivating them to change.

» Less Information

Michigan Central Railroad Jackson Amtrak Depot

(517) 787-6385
Website
501 E. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Michigan Central Railroad Jackson Amtrak Depot In operation since September 1, 1873, Jackson’s train depot is the oldest continually operating rail station in the United States and was also the largest stop on the line between... » More Information

Hours

Building open every day 7:00 am - 2:30 pm

Michigan Central Railroad Jackson Amtrak Depot

In operation since September 1, 1873, Jackson’s train depot is the oldest continually operating rail station in the United States and was also the largest stop on the line between Detroit and Chicago in train travel's heyday. The Victorian-Italianate red-brick station used heart pine, ash, oak and walnut woods harvested in Michigan for its interior structures. A carved walnut arch separated the ticket office from the newsstand and women’s waiting room and crystal chandeliers hung overhead. The station currently services the Amtrak Wolverine line which still runs from Detroit to Chicago. 

Fast Facts

  • After a 32-foot addition in 1901, the building measures 296 feet long by 45 feet wide
  • 2nd in Michigan only to Detroit in terms of passenger boardings and frieght tonnage handled in it's heyday
  • The park in front of the depot was known as Le Grande Square and was once much larger and extending to the north
  • The express building to the east of the depot was built between 1880 and 1900 to handle mail and other shipments
  • The depot, express building and Le Grande Square are listed on the US Department of the Interior's National Register of Historic Places
  • Famous people to stop at the Jackson Depot include President McKinley in 1899, President Taft in 1910 and Presidential Candidates Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 and John F. Kennedy in 1960
  • The mural in the archway inside was painted by Jackson artist Lee Bauman for the Bicentenial Celebration and feature French turbo trains that Amtrak operated in the 1970s
  • In 1926, 63 passenger trains a day passed through the Jackson Depot and it is estimated a total of 422,000 passengers would have used the station that year
  • Today about 28,000 passengers each year board or alight  from the 6 daily Amtrak trains stopping at the Jackson Depot

» Less Information

Michigan Theatre

(517) 783-0962
Website | Facebook
124 N. Mechanic St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Michigan Theatre The Michigan Theatre was the last and largest theater to be built in downtown Jackson, opening in 1930. Now a nonprofit organization, the Michigan Theatre of Jackson Inc., is working to... » More Information

Hours

Group tours of the Michigan Theatre are available by appointment please email Steve Tucker to schedule a tour. 

Meeting Facility Features
  • On-site Catering Available
  • AV Equipment Available
  • Air Conditioned
  • Alcohol License Available
  • Alcohol Permitted
  • Alcohol or Bar Tending Services Available On-Site
  • WiFi Available
  • Internet Available
  • Multiple Rooms or Facilities
Event Capacity
  • 1400
Michigan Theatre

The Michigan Theatre was the last and largest theater to be built in downtown Jackson, opening in 1930. Now a nonprofit organization, the Michigan Theatre of Jackson Inc., is working to restore the theater to its original luster. It was originally built in Spanish Renaissance style with an ornate polychrome terra cotta façade, carved walnut furniture, plush carpeting, heavy damask draperies, and stained-glass light fixtures. The Michigan Theatre is considered one of the most splendid theaters in the state. Their mission is to provide today's entertainment in an incredible historic venue. Events include kids movies and classic films, as well as live entertainment.

The Michigan Theatre is the first stop for on the Historic Prison Tours offered by Jackson Journey's. 

» Less Information

Morris Building

(517) 789-5577
171 W. Michigan Ave.
132 S. Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Formerly known as Horace Ismon Building, this building was erected for Jackson dry goods merchant Horace Ismon in 1853. Ismon had begun his mercantile career in Paw Paw during the 1840s.... » More Information

Formerly known as Horace Ismon Building, this building was erected for Jackson dry goods merchant Horace Ismon in 1853. Ismon had begun his mercantile career in Paw Paw during the 1840s. Ismon was a founding director of the Jackson County Bank in 1872. Having no children of their own, Ismon and his wife, Clara, mentored youth interested in the mercantile trade.  A lavish gala attended by three hundred guests and future governor Austin Blair celebrated the opening of the Ismon Building on February 22, 1853. The building has housed a variety of enterprises, among them Horace Ismon's dry goods store, a pharmacy, and a home health service. From 1927 to 1972, the Fairy Garden Chinese restaurant occupied the upper floors. It is believed to have been the first Jackson establishment with air conditioning (installed in 1933). Current tenants include Edward Jones.

» Less Information

Mt. Evergreen Cemetery

(517) 788-4078
Website
1047 Greenwood Ave.
Jackson, MI 49203

Mt. Evergreen Cemetery Founded on August 18, 1843, Mt. Evergreen is the City of Jackson’s oldest cemetery. Originally consisting of 11 acres in 1843 and expanded to its now 25 acres in 1863. Morrell Street was moved... » More Information

Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday  - 10am - 3pm
Closed Wednesday
In the event of a Monday holiday, the office will be open that Wednesday from 10am - 3pm.

Mt. Evergreen Cemetery

Founded on August 18, 1843, Mt. Evergreen is the City of Jackson’s oldest cemetery. Originally consisting of 11 acres in 1843 and expanded to its now 25 acres in 1863. Morrell Street was moved north a year later to produce an area dedicated for the burial of soldiers. Soliders from the War of 1812, the American Civil War, and both World Wars I & II are buried in this cemetery. To this day, the annual Memorial Day parade ends at Mt. Evergreen’s Soldier Field for a memorial ceremony.

Mt. Evergreen Cemetery was listed in the State Register of Historic Sites in 1988. The cemetery contains not one but two famous sculptures memorializing the dead.

Laura Evans Memorial also known as Civil War Soldiers Monument, by Frederick Hibbard, bronze and granite, 1916

Jackson holds the honor of mustering the first volunteer regiment of Civil War soldiers in the state, and lost over 3,200 men. Thus it is appropriate, that a town the size of Jackson should have a second Civil War memorial, after Defense of the Flag, located amid the graves of those who made the supreme sacrifice. A half-century after the war, Laura Evans established a trust in her will to fund a monument to the soldiers buried in Mt. Evergreen Cemetery in memory of her father, mother, and husband. Frederick C. Hibbard, a Chicago sculptor who studied under Lorado Taft (sculptor of Defense of the Flag and the William A. Foote Memorial), created the memorial inscribed with its patron's name. 

Sparks Memorial also known as Roses of Yesterday, by Harriet Frishmuth, bronze and granite, copyright 1923

Mt. Evergreen Cemetery can point with pride to the Sparks Memorial, a commemorative bronze female figure, smaller scale than Taft’s Foote Memorial, but just as poignant and emotional. The statue marks the graves of several members of the Sparks family -- a prominent local family that left its mark on the community most noticeably through the donation of Cascades Park, originally known as Sparks Foundation County Park. Harriet Frishmuth (1880-1980) created dozens of delicate maidens similar to that on the Sparks Memorial during her long and productive career for which she earned numerous awards in the first two decades of the 20th century.

For more information on the public sculpture of Jackson, visit the Ella Sharp Museum at http://www.ellasharp.org/our-outdoor-sculpture.html.

» Less Information

Old Stone Post Office

125 N. Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Old Stone Post Office Casler's Hardware occupies four discreet buildings. The oldest, a simple, two-story, Greek Revival building at the rear, is Jackson's oldest stone building. Listed on the National Register of... » More Information

Old Stone Post Office

Casler's Hardware occupies four discreet buildings. The oldest, a simple, two-story, Greek Revival building at the rear, is Jackson's oldest stone building. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was built in 1839 as the Post Office, General Store and Newspaper. It then faced onto the original town square, now Bucky Harris Park, where the stagecoach would stop regularly.
The Old Stone Post Office built with locally quarried sandstone, is also one of the oldest commercial structures in all of Michigan. Built for local merchant Joseph G.R. Blackwell, it was once a center of local life and one of the first permanent buildings in the town then called Jacksonburgh.

» Less Information

P & T Fitness

(517) 789-6362
Website | Facebook
225 N Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201

P & T Fitness Welcome to Pedal & Tour Cycling and Fitness, Jackson's premier destination for  bikes & exercise equipment. We carry a complete line of bicycles from Giant and Raleigh, so... » More Information

Hours

Monday & Friday 10-8
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 10-6
Saturday 10am-5pm
Sunday Closed

P & T Fitness

Welcome to Pedal & Tour Cycling and Fitness, Jackson's premier destination for  bikes & exercise equipment. We carry a complete line of bicycles from Giant and Raleigh, so whether you're looking to ride to the ice cream stand, or to the top of the Alps, we've got you covered. We do more than bikes. Pedal and Tour is also Jackson County's largest source of exercise equipment. Precor, Vision, and Tuff Stuff; they're the best brands in fitness and we've got them all. We also offer FREE DELIVERY & SET UP! Ask an associate for details. We're conveniently located in downtown Jackson in the historic C.E. Hamlin building. We always have new products coming in; shop for accessories for your bike or your fitness equipment. Bike need a tune-up? We have a full-service repair area to take care of all your maintenance needs. Whatever you need, we've got you covered.  Stop in and see us today.

This archetypical Commercial italianate building was built as either a wagon-makers or a feed store, in the boom years following the American Civil War, circa 1880. For many years it served as the home of C.E. Hamlin Auto Supply. The building was purchased and renovated by George Webster to relcoate his business,  Pedal & Tour, downtown and remodel the upper floors into residential units. 

» Less Information

St Demetrius Orthodox Church

Call 517-414-3829 for tours | 517-784-0116 Church Office
Website
3043 Seymour Rd.
Jackson, MI 49201

St Demetrius Orthodox Church St. Demetrius Church, purchased for $1.00 in 1960, was originally built as a one-room schoolhouse.  Today the structure is something altogether different.  Still set in a rural area resonating with... » More Information

Hours

Sunday Service 9:30 am

Groups tours for 12 or more by appointment only.

$15.00 a person

St Demetrius Orthodox Church

St. Demetrius Church, purchased for $1.00 in 1960, was originally built as a one-room schoolhouse.  Today the structure is something altogether different.  Still set in a rural area resonating with the peace of nature, the colorful interior of St. Demetrius contrasts with the more pastoral colors of its surroundings. The interior walls and ceilings are covered with brightly colored paintings called frescos. In addition, individual Icons are held in place by a 33-foot long by 9-foot high hand carved wooden wall of icons called an “Iconostasis.”

Click here to download the 2014 brochure.

Group Tour Information

On this engaging 2 hour tour, experience how our world-renown Iconographer, Niculai Enochi, uses an authentic Byzantine method of painting to adorn an exquisite church – a church equal to any you can see in Europe right here in Jackson!  The Orthodox tradition of Iconography, often called “Windows to Heaven,” originated about 1800 years ago. This Iconography, through its vivid visual depictions, truly brings the stories of the Bible to life.

The artistic, historical and personalized tour is given by Father Dusan, a delightful master of presentation.  

After experiencing the beautiful Icons and their intriguing history, thoroughly enjoy sitting in the beautiful dining area as you drink a cup of coffee with a slice of famous and unforgettably delicious Baklava baked by the Baklava Bakers of the Sisterhood of St. Demetrius Church. 

Please see the St. Demetrius Photo Gallery for sneak peek.

Newly renovated parking lot to accommodate tour buses.

» Less Information

St. Johns Catholic Church

(517) 784-0553
Website | Facebook
711 N. Francis St.
Jackson, MI 49201

St. Johns Catholic Church St. John's was constructed in 1857 as a Gothic brick building. Later the red brick exterior of the church was replaced with Indiana limestone.This great building, although enlarged several... » More Information

Hours

Daily Mass

Monday & Wednesday: 8:30 AM
Tuesday: 5:30 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM

Weekend Mass
Saturday: 4:15 PM, 5:45 PM
Sunday: 8:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM

St. Johns Catholic Church

St. John's was constructed in 1857 as a Gothic brick building. Later the red brick exterior of the church was replaced with Indiana limestone.This great building, although enlarged several times, has been in continuous use and is the oldest church building in the Diocese of Lansing. St. John's is the oldest Catholic Church in Jackson and was the only church of this denomination in the city until 1901. 

Photo Courtesy of Jackson District Library Archives.

» Less Information

St. Mary’s Star of the Sea

(517) 784-7184
Website | Facebook
120 E. Wesley St.
Jackson, MI 49201

St. Mary’s Star of the Sea In 1880, a second Catholic parish was approved for the city of Jackson. It was to be a Gothic style brick building with the steeple rising 180 feet.  The building sat... » More Information

Hours

Weekday Mass:
12:10 PM
Weekend Masses:
Saturday: 5:30 PM
Sunday: 8:00 AM, 
10:00 AM

St. Mary’s Star of the Sea

In 1880, a second Catholic parish was approved for the city of Jackson. It was to be a Gothic style brick building with the steeple rising 180 feet.  The building sat six hundred people, but within 20 years the first church had become inadequate in size and admission cards were issued to parishioners for Mass attendance.

In 1910, plans were announced for a new church, however building plans were delayed by World War I. The basement was ready and used for Midnight Mass on Christmas of 1923, however it was not completed until 1926.

It is constructed of steel framework with an exterior limestone veneer, and is a combination of Byzantine and traditional Romanesque architecture.  The steeple does indeed rise 180 feet.  The southwest corner houses the 2,700 pound bell, cast in 1902 for the parish's original church.  All three towers are capped with copper sheeting, with a gold-leafed metal clad cross on top. The front features three sets of double doors of copper and bronze.  Over the entrance is a figure of Mary and the words "Domus Mea Domus Orationis Est" which translated from the Latin is  "My House is a House of Prayer" (Isaiah 56:7).

All of the stained glass windows, "Stations of the Cross", and mosaic "Our Lady Star of the Sea" were purchased after WWI from Tyrolese Art Glass Company in Innsbruck, Austria.  The windows are said to be the finest in the country. They are listed in the Michigan Stained Glass Census with special emphasis on the "Christ and the Battlefield Window". Today the stained glass would be considered priceless.

St. Mary Star of the Sea School celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2014 making one of the oldest schools in Michigan still operating in the same building. 

» Less Information

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church

(517) 787-3370
Website
309 S. Jackson St.
Jackson, MI 49201

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church On December 8, 1838, the founders of St. Paul's Parish met and began the task of drafting the Articles of Organization for a ""new Protestant society."" The Parish of St. Paul'... » More Information

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church

On December 8, 1838, the founders of St. Paul's Parish met and began the task of drafting the Articles of Organization for a ""new Protestant society."" The Parish of St. Paul's Church was officially established with the signing by twenty-two persons of the articles of Organization on January 12, 1839.
Its first house of worship, a small frame church completed at a cost of $2,500 by vestry member Lemuel S. House, was consecrated on October 20, 1840. By 1850 the group had outgrown its original home, and plans were begun to build a larger church.
Designed by Buffalo architect Calvin N. Otis, the new Romanesque Revival church was consecrated on January 11, 1853. Remodeled and expanded several times, it is one of the oldest Episcopal church structures in southern Michigan.

Photo Courtesy of Jackson District Library Archives

» Less Information

Stanton Group/ Hayes Home

714 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Designed for industrialist Clarence Hayes, co-owner of Kelsey Hayes, by Jackson Architect Claire Allen, this house is French Chateaux style built in limestone with a slate roof.

Designed for industrialist Clarence Hayes, co-owner of Kelsey Hayes, by Jackson Architect Claire Allen, this house is French Chateaux style built in limestone with a slate roof.

» Less Information

Temple Beth Israel

(517) 784-3862
Website
801 West Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49202

A Jewish Reform Synogogue formed in 1862. The building contains 5 pictoral stained glass windows titled Peace, Justice, Good Deeds and The Torah.

A Jewish Reform Synogogue formed in 1862. The building contains 5 pictoral stained glass windows titled Peace, Justice, Good Deeds and The Torah.

» Less Information

Temple Beth Israel Cemetery

(517) 784-3862
Website
420 N. West Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this 1-acre burial plot contains over 270 burials representing four or five generations of Jackson families. The cemetery was dedicated in 1859 and is... » More Information

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this 1-acre burial plot contains over 270 burials representing four or five generations of Jackson families. The cemetery was dedicated in 1859 and is still accepting burials making it Michigan’s oldest Jewish Cemetery in continuous use.  Jews arrived in Jackson in 1842, but did not construct a synagogue until the early 1860s. The synagogue, Temple Beth Israel, now sits at 801 W. Michigan Ave. Jackson.

» Less Information

The Ionia

509-519 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Named for the Ionia sandstone used in its construction, this series of townhouses was built over a twelve year period for specific owners.  Claire Allen's clever mix of... » More Information

Named for the Ionia sandstone used in its construction, this series of townhouses was built over a twelve year period for specific owners.  Claire Allen's clever mix of Flemish and Tudor architecture works for the building.  The indented backyards allow more light into the units.  Claire Allen, famed Jackson architect himself lived in 515 after his wife died and stayed there the rest of his life. He died in 1942 at age 89.

» Less Information

The Mann House

(517) 524-8943
Website
205 Hanover St.
Concord, MI 49237

The Mann House The Mann House is an excellent example of typical middle-class domestic architecture of the early 1880s. Built in 1883, the Mann House is now a museum operated by the Michigan Historical... » More Information

Hours

Memorial Day to Labor Day

Thursday through Sunday

10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

The Mann House

The Mann House is an excellent example of typical middle-class domestic architecture of the early 1880s. Built in 1883, the Mann House is now a museum operated by the Michigan Historical Center. It is furnished with the 19th century heirlooms of the Mann family including the family's sleigh, buggy, and many household implements. Caretakers recreate holiday celebrations by decorating and arranging the museum as it would have been seen during those times. A marbleized slate fireplace, peculiar catch-release doorknobs, and eight rooms of period furniture adorn the two-story house. Admission to Mann House is free.

» Less Information

The Original Jackson Historic Prison Tours

(517) 817-8960
Website | Facebook
100 Armory Court
Jackson, MI 49202

The Original Jackson Historic Prison Tours On the Original Jackson Historic Prison tour, enjoy lively, interactive stories of inmates past and present, prison lore and more. Walk inside the massive walls as bygone prisoners, guards, and... » More Information

Contact
Judy Gail Krasnow
Hours

RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL TOURS.

Call 517-817-8960 or email to make a reservation and inquiry about combination tours.

The Original Jackson Historic Prison Tours

On the Original Jackson Historic Prison tour, enjoy lively, interactive stories of inmates past and present, prison lore and more. Walk inside the massive walls as bygone prisoners, guards, and wardens come alive with tales of corruption, mayhem, punishments and relief.

THE FIRST DEGREE is the full tour. It lasts approximately 4-5 hours with lunch. Jackson Journeys is flexible and can work time-wise with your schedule.

THE SECOND DEGREE is a tour for those with time constrictions. Groups can select either the Michigan Theatre Program or the tour through Michigan’s First State Prison. This tour does not include lunch. It lasts approximately 90 minutes.

COMBINATION TOURS

Jackson Journeys LLC is happy to arrange an itinerary for you both in Jackson and en route to and from Jackson. Jackson Journeys offers combination tours such as:

FROM PRISON TO PARADISE

After the Prison tour, you drive ten-minutes to a Jackson gem -- St. Demetrius Orthodox Church, with its utterly exquisite iconography, wood carving, delightful tour by Father Dusan, topped with “divine” homemade Baklava and coffee. This makes a perfect “all-day” journey to Jackson.

YOU MAY ALSO STAY OVERNIGHT

After this full- day tour, go to your hotel, eat dinner at a local Jackson Restaurant, and let your dessert be a concert of your choice at the Jackson Symphony Orchestra Hall, where you can choose from 12 small musical ensembles including Jazz, Chamber Music, Country-Western, Eastern European (Klezmer), and several more.

THE NEXT DAY JACKSON JOURNEYS WILL BOOK OTHER VENUES IN JACKSON, such as a tour of Michigan International Speedway, Dahlem Nature Conservancy, Ye Ole Carriage Shop, Sparks Park & The Cascades musical waterfalls, and more. As you travel onward – east, west, south or north, Jackson Journeys can arrange your itinerary.

RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL TOURS. Check out HistoricPrisonTours.com for further information about price, menu, FAQ’s and to read the outstanding testimonials about the tour, created by founder/director Judy Gail Krasnow and her company, Jackson Journeys LLC.

» Less Information

The Pickle Barrel Deli

(517) 962-2559
Website | Facebook
156 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

The Pickle Barrel Deli Gourmet deli food, meats and cheeses by the pound, loaves of bread, and catering for just about any event! The Pickle Barrel Deli, serving high quality deli sandwiches, homemade... » More Information

Hours

Mon - Fri: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm

The Pickle Barrel Deli

Gourmet deli food, meats and cheeses by the pound, loaves of bread, and catering for just about any event! The Pickle Barrel Deli, serving high quality deli sandwiches, homemade soups and salads. Featuring Zingerman Bakehouse breads & pastries. Preservative-free meats and breads. Gluten-free bread available upon request. All products they use and sell are Michigan made. All packaging products are from Michigan Greensafe, using sugar and corn by-products...no petroleum based plastics. Open Monday through Friday 10 am to 6 pm and Saturday 11 am to 4 pm. "Keep it Local, Keep it Fresh"

This limestone building originally housed City Bank until 1927 when a new bank tower, now City Hall, was built across the street.

Voted Jackson's Best Kept Lunch Secret of 2013

» Less Information

Tompkins Stewart Farm Museum

517-569-2535
Website
10138 N. Tompkins Rd.
Tompkins Center, MI 49277

Tompkins Stewart Farm Museum Sheridan Stewart, born on his family’s Centennial Farm in Tompkins Township on November 7, 1917, described himself as, “a farmer and an investor”. In his final years... » More Information

Hours

Museum Shown for groups by appointment through winter months.
Museum is open the 4th Saturday of each month except January & February
Contact Nancy Seydell, Curator    (517) 569-2535

Tompkins Stewart Farm Museum

Sheridan Stewart, born on his family’s Centennial Farm in Tompkins Township on November 7, 1917, described himself as, “a farmer and an investor”.
In his final years he made the decision to leave his 175-acre family Centennial Farm to the Township of Tompkins to be used for a new town hall, fire station, recreational facilities and a township museum. This 175-acre Centennial Farm is said to be the largest acreage ever donated to any township in the State of Michigan.
Today the Tompkins Historical Society has restored the family home into a museum open to the public for tours and special events, including the annual Tompkins Freedom Festival and Steam Engine Show every September. Improvements continue on the property to restore buildings, develop nature trails and recently the addition of a pavilion and schoolhouse. If you haven't seen it yet, stop by and check out the 1838, one room log cabin located on the farm property.

» Less Information

Under the Oaks City Park

Website 418 Second St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Under the Oaks City Park This is a historical site honoring the birthplace of the Republican Party. On July 6, 1854, a state convention of anti-slavery men was held in Jackson, Michigan,  to found a... » More Information

Park Features
  • Flower Garden
Under the Oaks City Park

This is a historical site honoring the birthplace of the Republican Party. On July 6, 1854, a state convention of anti-slavery men was held in Jackson, Michigan,  to found a new political party. Since the convention day was hot and the huge crowd could not be accommodated in the hall, the meeting adjourned to an oak grove on "Morgan's Forty" on the outskirts of the town forever known as "Under the Oaks".

Photo Courtesy of the Jackson District Library Photo Archives.

» Less Information

Universalist Church of Concord

200 Hanover St.
Concord, MI 49237

Universalist Church of Concord The First Universalist Church of Concord, constructed in 1866 is typical of the Gothic Revival style. Box pews and a two aisle floor plan reflect the New England origins... » More Information

Universalist Church of Concord

The First Universalist Church of Concord, constructed in 1866 is typical of the Gothic Revival style. Box pews and a two aisle floor plan reflect the New England origins of the church design. In 1997 the building was deeded to the Hubbard Memorial Museum Foundation. The church is located within the Concord National Register Historic District. The construction of a Universalist church in Concord reflects the trend of migration from New York State to Michigan in the mid-1800s since a significant number of the founding members of the Universalist Society, and subsequent members of the parish, were originally from New York.

» Less Information

Vermeulen Furniture

(517) 782-8208
Website | Facebook
2105 W Michigan Ave
Jackson, MI 49202

Now in their third generation as a family owned-and-operated business, Vermeulen's Furniture Jackson showroom is a furniture landmark, which opened in 1929!

Hours

Monday - Friday: 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Sunday: 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Now in their third generation as a family owned-and-operated business, Vermeulen's Furniture Jackson showroom is a furniture landmark, which opened in 1929!

» Less Information

Walt’s Health Foods

(517) 784-0568
Website | Facebook
102 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Walt’s Health Foods Walt's Health Foods is a specialty store that supplies the Jackson area with nutritional supplements, herbs, and homeopathic items.  We also have herbal teas, gluten-free items, whole wheat... » More Information

Hours

Mon - Fri: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

Walt’s Health Foods

Walt's Health Foods is a specialty store that supplies the Jackson area with nutritional supplements, herbs, and homeopathic items.  We also have herbal teas, gluten-free items, whole wheat and sprouted items, nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. Specialty flours, pastas, and such can be found also. We carry a little bit of everything and we are located in the heart of Downtown Jackson!

Originally four Stories including a Mansard roof, this late 19th century building housed City Hall on the upper floors. Walgreen's drug store occupied the street level for many years. The top two floors were removed in the early 1960's when it housed Lyle Hunt Sporting Goods. Walt's Health Food moved into the store space in the early 1980's from a  smaller location around the corner. 

» Less Information

Waterloo Farm Museum and Dewey School Museum

(517) 596-2254
Website | Facebook
13493 Waterloo Munith Road
Grass Lake, MI 49240

Waterloo Farm Museum and Dewey School Museum These museums offer a vivid look into 19th century pioneer life. Costumed tour guides take visitors through a 10-room farmhouse built by a German immigrant and seven additional outbuildings. Then... » More Information

Hours

Open: the Friday after Memorial Day to Labor Day Weekend.  1:00 PM to 5:00 PM Friday, Sat. and Sunday

Both the Dewey School & Farm Museum are open by appointment and for special events.

Waterloo Farm Museum and Dewey School Museum

These museums offer a vivid look into 19th century pioneer life. Costumed tour guides take visitors through a 10-room farmhouse built by a German immigrant and seven additional outbuildings. Then groups are encouraged to continue their visit at the Dewey School Museum where pupils will experience a typical school day in the mid-1800s. 

The Waterloo Farm Museum, listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Siebold Farm/Ruehle (Realy) farm since 1973, is a complex of farm buildings nestled in the curve of a scenic rural road. Highlights include a farmhouse built in 1850s, a rare restored wooden Perkins windmill, a log house with stone fireplace, a woodworking and blacksmith's workshop with working forge, the granary which now serves as a gift shop, and many other buildings that supported 1880s farm life. 

The Dewey School Museum, located three miles north of the Farm, is a one-room schoolhouse that was built in the mid-1800s and held classes until 1956. At Dewey, the schoolmarm teaches her pupils (the visitors) about a one-room schoolhouse and guides them through a typical day.

The Waterloo Farm Museum and Dewey School Museum are run by the Waterloo Area Historical Society. The mission of the WAHA is to foster an understanding and appreciation in children and adults of the pioneer farmers of Michigan, their family life and their children's schooling. The WAHS was formed in 1962 to acquire and restore the Realy Family Farm as a tribute to Michigan's pioneer farmers.

Group Tour Information

For more group tour information click here. Waterloo Farm Museum provides guided tours of the ten-room farmhouse, log cabin, barns, blacksmith and woodworking workshop, bake house, ice house, milk cellar and windmill. These tours are lead by knowledgeable guides in period dress and are usually combined with the Dewey School museum visit lasting between 3 to 3.5 hours. The gift shop will also be open at this time as well, to browse and purchase books, crafts, toys, collectables and clothing. Please call for group pricing.

» Less Information

Whistle Stop Park Depot

517-522-4332
218 E Michigan Ave
Grass Lake, MI 49240

Whistle Stop Park Depot The Central Railroad (later the Michigan Central Rail Road, or MCRR) came through Grass Lake in 1842, and the community grew around that first depot. In 1887, Grass Lake was awarded a... » More Information

Hours

By appointment only

Park Features
  • Flower Garden
Meeting Facility Features
  • Air Conditioned
  • Alcohol Permitted
Event Capacity
  • 125
Whistle Stop Park Depot

The Central Railroad (later the Michigan Central Rail Road, or MCRR) came through Grass Lake in 1842, and the community grew around that first depot. In 1887, Grass Lake was awarded a stone depot designed by the same architects and with stone from the same quarry as the Ann Arbor station. This historic Romanesque train depot offers displays of local interest. Available for rentals, receptions, parties, and weddings. 

Heritage Day in September highlights the depot every year with an Open House. Stop in on the first Saturday in December to experience the festival of lights. While checking out this fantastic depot, why not take advantage of the beautiful park with its flower garden and nice gazebo located adjacent to the building.

» Less Information

Withington Park

(517) 788-4040
Website | Facebook
410 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Withington Park The park features the sculpture Defense of the Flag or Jackson County Soldiers and Sailors Monument, an original Lorado Taft sculpture made of bronze and granite, surrounded by a beautiful... » More Information

Park Features
  • Flower Garden
  • Benches
Withington Park

The park features the sculpture Defense of the Flag or Jackson County Soldiers and Sailors Monument, an original Lorado Taft sculpture made of bronze and granite, surrounded by a beautiful flower garden and benches to rest from downtown shopping to enjoy it. The  memorial to the 3,282 men of the First and Seventeenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry regiments was erected by their commander, Gen. William H. Withington. Jackson holds the honor of mustering the first volunteer regiment of Civil War soldiers in the state, although it is not the first Civil War Memorial, it is one of the finest. It is unique in the fact that rather than organize a public fundraising drive as most did, Withington funded the memorial out of his own pocket. Although the monument bears a date of May 30, 1903, production problems delayed its dedication until June 14, 1904, by which time General Withington had died. Lorado Taft was a famous sculptor of the day and taught at the Art Institute of Chicago.

For more information on the public sculpture of Jackson visit the Ella Sharp Museum at http://www.ellasharp.org/our-outdoor-sculpture.html . Photo Courtesy of the Jackson District Library Archives. 

» Less Information

Woodland Cemetery

(517) 788-4078
Website
2615 Francis St.
Jackson, MI 49203

Woodland Cemetery Though it may not be the oldest cemetery in the city, it does contain the oldest historical burials. When the City of Jackson was first founded in 1829, the original cemetery... » More Information

Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - 10am - 3pm
Closed Wednesday   
In the event of a Monday Holiday, the office will be open that Wednesday from 10am - 3pm

Woodland Cemetery

Though it may not be the oldest cemetery in the city, it does contain the oldest historical burials. When the City of Jackson was first founded in 1829, the original cemetery was located on East Michigan Avenue. As our city expanded eastward, the need to properly honor its pioneers conflicted with the growing city landscape. Therefore, in 1890, a 25-acre plot of land was purchased from local landowner, James C. Wood, with the purpose of becoming Woodland Cemetery. The remains of Jackson’s pioneers were disinterred, and reinterred, into the newly designated cemetery.

There are several unique and notable burials here but none as notable as William A. Foote, local entrepreneur. Foote, an Adrian native, founded Jackson Electric Light Works, which evolved into Consumers Energy. He was a robust man who died suddenly of a heart attack at age sixty. His wife founded Jackson's Foote Memorial Hospital in his memory. She also presumably made arrangements for the memorial sculpture in Woodland Cemetery.

William A. Foote Memorial, by Lorado Taft, bronze and granite, 1923

The William A. Foote Memorial is a three dimensional free-standing bronze figure positioned in front of a tall stone slab. Lorado Taft, also the sculptor of Defense of the Flag or Jackson County Soldiers and Sailors Monument, created a grand and eloquent memorial for William Foote. The simple form of the polished black granite slab frames the allegorical figure majestically. The big-boned woman leans forward, holding a scroll of papers across her lap and a pen or stylus in her right hand. She seems lost in thought, perhaps remembering William Foote as she writes of his deeds in her scroll. A small replica of this statue was placed at Taft's own gravestone, in Elmwood, Illinois, entitled "Memory", perhaps because the original was a favorite of Taft's wife. 

See more information about outdoor sculpture in Jackson at http://www.ellasharp.org/our-outdoor-sculpture.html

» Less Information