The Jackson County Rose Festival
For more than 50 years, the Jackson County Rose Festival has served to celebrate the civic pride of the Jackson community. Incorporated in 1973, there are now several major events organized by the festival, including:
- Jackson County Rose Parade
- Picnic in the Park
- Jackson County Rose Queen Scholarship Pageant
- Jackson County Outstanding Teen Pageant
- Little Miss & Mr. Jackson Pageants
The Jackson County Rose Parade Route
View Rose Parade Route in a larger map
The Jackson County Rosequeen Pageant
The Rose Festival includes many beloved activities and amusements, yet the Jackson County Rosequeen Pageant is possibly the Festival’s crowning event. Beginning in 1960, the RoseQueen Pageant is a franchise of the Miss Michigan USA Pageant. As with these famous pageants, the Rosequeen Pageant supports the educational pursuits of the young women involved. Today, the Jackson Rosequeen Pageant is one of the largest local pageants in the nation in terms of scholarship money.
Why the Rose?
In 1926, a group of Jackson residents planted a rose garden in Ella Sharp Park as a memorial to the great Ella W. Sharp, donor of the over 500 acres that became the largest city park in Jackson. Several years later the rose became the official flower of Jackson and we became known as the Rose City.
Related Calendar Events
This 563-acre park currently features an eighteen-hole Golf Course & Learning Center, eighteen-hole miniature golf course, four tennis courts, two... » More Information
This 563-acre park currently features an eighteen-hole Golf Course & Learning Center, eighteen-hole miniature golf course, four tennis courts, two picnic shelters, rose garden, Carter’s Corner Play Structure, two lighted softball fields, three regular softball fields, ten soccer fields, four baseball fields, one basketball court, playground areas, cross country ski trails, and the Ella Sharp Museum.
- Ella Sharp Park's 18-hole miniaturized golf course holds fun for everyone. The mini course is open 7 days a week. Please call for seasonal hours at 517-788-4696
Lighted Softball Fields
- The park includes 2 full service fenced and lighted ball fields. Field #1 has a scorer's building while field #2 has a rain shelter.
Open Field Sports Area
- The park includes 3 full size football fields, 3 softball fields, 4 full size soccer fields which can be used as 8 smaller fields.
- The park has a stretch along the banks of the Grand River which is available for fishing. The area is handicapped accessible and is located in the southeast portion of the park.
Paved and Unpaved Walking, Jogging, and Bike Trails
- The park includes a 1 mile path that connects from Fourth Street with Museum and with the South Jackson Street entrance. In addition, the park also keeps some rough trails that meander through natural preservation areas in both the East and West sides of Fourth Street. These trails are ideal for walking, jogging, and cross country skiing. Cascades Cycling Trail Map
- The park upkeeps 4 paved tennis courts on a first come first serve basis.
- The park upkeeps one basketball court located at the South Jackson Road entrance.
- Includes Carter's Corner located across from the Ella Sharp Museum
- The Jackson Recreation Department will reserve either the Ella Sharp Park Rose Garden (near the entrance of Ella Sharp Park) or the Rotunda (across from the Museum) for your wedding. The Ella Sharp Park Carters Corner Picnic Pavilion or the West Picnic Pavilion are also available for rental. See Ella Sharp Museum for their Facility Rentals.
» Less Information