Ella Sharp Park
Ella Sharp Park is located on 562 acres along the banks of the southwest branch of the Grand River in beautiful Jackson, Michigan. This provides a great location for a park full of fun activities for everyone. The park holds a challenging golf course, beautiful flower gardens, miles of hiking & biking trails, a basketball court, soccer fields, a golf learning center, softball fields, and many other facilities for athletics and casual enjoyment of the outdoors.
This grand park in the City of Jackson would not exist without a generous donation from a generous woman. Ella Merriman Sharp was a civic-minded Jackson resident who willed her 562-acre farm to the City of Jackson to be used as a park and museum. Her farmhouse became part of the Ella Sharp Museum of Art and History, the rest of the land was laid out as a park. Ella Meeriman Sharp was inducted into the Michigan Women's Hall of Fame in 1998 for her achievements in environmental conservation and philanthropy.
The Ella Sharp Rose Garden was planted in honor of Ella and her love of gardening. Many weddings take place among the blooms as well as in the rotunda across the street.
Related Calendar Events
The Jackson County Rose Festival invites you to come out and enjoy the Rose Parade and Picnic in the Park!... » Event Details
Hot Air Balloons fill the sky during both a morning and evening launch. They also light up the night sky... » Event Details
This park currently features an eighteen-hole Golf Course & Learning Center, eighteen-hole miniature golf course, four tennis courts, two picnic... » More Information
This park currently features an eighteen-hole Golf Course & Learning Center, eighteen-hole miniature golf course, four tennis courts, two picnic shelters, rose garden, Carter’s Corner Play Structure, two lighted softball fields, three regular softball fields, ten soccer fields, four baseball fields, one basketball court, playground areas, cross country ski trails, and the Ella Sharp Museum.
- Ella Sharp Park's 18-hole miniaturized golf course holds fun for everyone. The mini course is open 7 days a week. Please call for seasonal hours at 517-788-4696
Lighted Softball Fields
- The park includes 2 full service fenced and lighted ball fields. Field #1 has a scorer's building while field #2 has a rain shelter.
Open Field Sports Area
- The park includes 3 full size football fields, 3 softball fields, 4 full size soccer fields which can be used as 8 smaller fields.
- The park has a stretch along the banks of the Grand River which is available for fishing. The area is handicapped accessible and is located in the southeast portion of the park.
Paved and Unpaved Walking, Jogging, and Bike Trails
- The park includes a 1 mile path that connects from Fourth Street with Museum and with the South Jackson Street entrance. In addition, the park also keeps some rough trails that meander through natural preservation areas in both the East and West sides of Fourth Street. These trails are ideal for walking, jogging, and cross country skiing. Cascades Cycling Trail Map
- The park upkeeps 4 paved tennis courts on a first come first serve basis.
- The park upkeeps one basketball court located at the South Jackson Road entrance.
- Includes Carter's Corner located across from the Ella Sharp Museum
- The Jackson Recreation Department will reserve either the Ella Sharp Park Rose Garden (near the entrance of Ella Sharp Park) or the Rotunda (across from the Museum) for your wedding. The Ella Sharp Park Carters Corner Picnic Pavilion or the West Picnic Pavilion are also available for rental. See Ella Sharp Museum for their Facility Rentals.
» Less Information
Golf Course Founded in 1923, Ella Sharp Park's 18-hole golf course provides a challenge for golfers of all levels. The course, restored and redesigned in 2001, touts two of Jackson County'... » More Information
Founded in 1923, Ella Sharp Park's 18-hole golf course provides a challenge for golfers of all levels. The course, restored and redesigned in 2001, touts two of Jackson County's most challenging golf holes (2nd & 12th holes) along with an array of other well-manicured fairways and greens. In 2013, the clubhouse saw an upgrade that included updated bathrooms, a concession area, a hall of fame room and a ramp for handicapped accessibility. Call the clubhouse for availability at (517) 788-4066.
Received a 3.5 Star rating from Golf Digest Places to Play.
Golf Learning Center
Ella Sharp Park's Golf Learning Center is a great place to learn how to play golf, brush up on your skills, or just go to hit a few golf balls. The center includes 25 tee stations overlooking a well-manicured range with 5 target greens. The center also has a sand bunker and a large putting green for practicing that short game. For those golfers that are looking for more than just hitting a few balls around, the learning center also has a wide range of classes available for youth and adults. Classes and private instruction by PGA Golf Professional, Eric W. Terrian, are available for both beginners and veteran players. Please call to schedule your lesson at (517) 780-4799.
» Less Information
In 1912, Ella Sharp’s farm and home were willed to Jackson for the creation of a park and museum, which opened in 1965. The Ella Sharp Museum features an 1860&rsquo... » More Information
In 1912, Ella Sharp’s farm and home were willed to Jackson for the creation of a park and museum, which opened in 1965. The Ella Sharp Museum features an 1860’s log cabin, the Dibble one-room schoolhouse, country store, print shop, doctor’s office, wood shop and the Merriman Sharp Farmhouse. The Ella Sharp Museum also houses six galleries including the Andrews Gallery of Wildlife Art, the Jackson History Gallery, a clock gallery and three galleries featuring traveling and “in house” exhibitions.
Thousands of visitors are drawn each year to Hillside Farm Lane for the Ella’s major festivals including Sugaring & Shearing (March), Fall Harvest Festival (October) and Art, Beer & Wine Festival (June) which will celebrate its 10th anniversary in June of 2014 and includes art vendors, Michigan wine and craft beer tastings.
The Grand Community Room at the Ella Sharp Museum is the perfect place for your next grand event. The 3,000-square-foot room features an outdoor patio, catering kitchen, and stage to accommodate a wide variety of uses. A huge, arched window looks out onto the surrounding park and a mid-19th century log house. Consider Ella Sharp Museum for reunions, holiday parties, weddings, seminars, annual meetings and much more.
Group Tour Information
The Ella offers special programming options for groups of 15 or more. To schedule a group tour, please contact tour coordinator Emily Jarvi. Group tours must be scheduled two weeks in advance.
For your group’s visit, choose from three tour options, all lasting approximately three hours or create your own experience:
Option 1: Guided tour of Ella’s home, the Merriman-Sharp farmhouse; visit to the galleries; tour of the grounds featuring sculpture and historical buildings; free time
Option 2: Guided visit to the galleries; presentation on selected topic*; tour of the grounds featuring sculpture and historical buildings; free time
Option 3: Guided visit to the galleries; creative project; choose between tour of the grounds featuring sculpture and historical buildings or house tour; free time
*Choose from eight topics of interest in art and history relating to the museum’s collection.
» Less Information