Experience Jackson

141 S. Jackson St., Jackson, MI 49201
Coe House Museum

Under the Oaks Historic District

On July 6, 1854, a state convention of anti-slavery men was held in Jackson, Michigan,  to found a new political party. Since the convention day was hot and the huge crowd could not be accommodated in the hall, the meeting adjourned to an oak grove on "Morgan's Forty" on the outskirts of the town forever known as "Under the Oaks". A plaque honoring this event can be found at the corner of Franklin and Second Street. 

Surrounding this historic landmark, there are over 300 notable homes located in a 15 block historic district. Here you will find a wide variety of architecture representing Victorian, English Tudor, Craftsman and unique Ionia Stone homes. You will find interesting driving or walking along: Franklin Street from First Street to Brown Street. Washington Street from Brown to First Street. Michigan Avenue just west of the city center.

  • 110-818 First St.
  • 103-418 Second St.
  • 105-419 Third St.
  • 105-419 Fourth St.
  • 401-750 W. Franklin St.
  • 405-766 W. Washington Ave.
  • 327-756 W. Michigan Ave. 
  • 505-604 Wildwood Ave.
  • 214-512 Steward (West Side)

Learn More about these buildings at the Historic District Commission.

There are several locations within the city that have historical significance.

Under the Oaks City Park

(517) 788-4040
Website | Facebook
418 Second St.
Jackson, MI 49201

Under the Oaks City Park This is a historical site honoring the birthplace of the Republican Party. On July 6, 1854, a state convention of anti-slavery men was held in Jackson, Michigan,  to found a... » More Information

Park Features
  • Flower Garden
  • Under the Oaks City Park

This is a historical site honoring the birthplace of the Republican Party. On July 6, 1854, a state convention of anti-slavery men was held in Jackson, Michigan,  to found a new political party. Since the convention day was hot and the huge crowd could not be accommodated in the hall, the meeting adjourned to an oak grove on "Morgan's Forty" on the outskirts of the town forever known as "Under the Oaks". The park includes a plaque to commemorate the event and benches for resting under the oak trees.

Photo Courtesy of the Jackson District Library Photo Archives.

» Less Information

Aware Shelter

(517) 783-2861
Website | Facebook
706 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Aware Shelter Built for Bradley Demanter, president of People’s National Bank, the Demanter Home is now used by the AWARE Shelter, providing shelter and counseling services to survivors of domestic... » More Information

  • Aware Shelter

Built for Bradley Demanter, president of People’s National Bank, the Demanter Home is now used by the AWARE Shelter, providing shelter and counseling services to survivors of domestic and sexual violence. The mission of AWARE strives to eliminate domestic and sexual violence, while promoting social change and empowering survivors by offering shelter and services. Note the second Flemish roof on the side.

» Less Information

Stanton Group formerly Hayes Home

714 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Designed for industrialist Clarence Hayes, co-owner of Kelsey Hayes, by Jackson Architect Claire Allen, this house is French Chateaux style built in limestone with a slate roof.

Designed for industrialist Clarence Hayes, co-owner of Kelsey Hayes, by Jackson Architect Claire Allen, this house is French Chateaux style built in limestone with a slate roof.

» Less Information

The Ionia

509-519 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Named for the Ionia sandstone used in its construction, this series of townhouses was built over a twelve year period for specific owners.  Claire Allen's clever mix of... » More Information

Named for the Ionia sandstone used in its construction, this series of townhouses was built over a twelve year period for specific owners.  Claire Allen's clever mix of Flemish and Tudor architecture works for the building.  The indented backyards allow more light into the units.  Claire Allen, famed Jackson architect himself lived in 515 after his wife died and stayed there the rest of his life. He died in 1942 at age 89.

» Less Information

Blanchard Financial formerly the Knights of Columbus Building

408 W. Wildwood Ave
Jackson, MI 49201

Formerly the Knights of Columbus building, this Beaux Arts Mediterranean building features many of architect Claire Allen’s favored details- tile roof, Italianate brackets and dentils, grand pillared entry,... » More Information

Formerly the Knights of Columbus building, this Beaux Arts Mediterranean building features many of architect Claire Allen’s favored details- tile roof, Italianate brackets and dentils, grand pillared entry, and balustrade porch.

» Less Information

Kluk & Kluk DDS formerly a home by Claire Allen

732 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

This residential home was designed by famed Jackson Architect Claire Allen.

This residential home was designed by famed Jackson Architect Claire Allen.

» Less Information

Withington Park

(517) 788-4040
Website | Facebook
410 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201

Withington Park The park features the sculpture Defense of the Flag or Jackson County Soldiers and Sailors Monument, an original Lorado Taft sculpture made of bronze and granite, surrounded by a beautiful... » More Information

Park Features
  • Flower Garden
  • Benches
  • Withington Park

The park features the sculpture Defense of the Flag or Jackson County Soldiers and Sailors Monument, an original Lorado Taft sculpture made of bronze and granite, surrounded by a beautiful flower garden and benches to rest from downtown shopping to enjoy it.

The memorial to the 3,282 men of the First and Seventeenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry regiments was erected by their commander, Gen. William H. Withington. Jackson holds the honor of mustering the first volunteer regiment of Civil War soldiers in the state, although it is not the first Civil War Memorial, it is one of the finest. It is unique in the fact that rather than organize a public fundraising drive as most did, Withington funded the memorial out of his own pocket.

Although the monument bears a date of May 30, 1903, production problems delayed its dedication until June 14, 1904, by which time General Withington had died. Lorado Taft was a famous sculptor of the day and taught at the Art Institute of Chicago.

Postcard Photo Courtesy of the Jackson District Library Archives. 

Modern Photo Courtesy of Dale Fisher Galleries.

» Less Information